For members of our community who choose to celebrate Christmas with their families, consider supporting our local farmers by taking your family on an outing to one of the beautiful Christmas tree farms in the Twin Cities Metro area! Most farms have cut-your-own and pre-cut options, and many have added on fun activities to make your outing a memorable one.
Most farms allow photography, so take advantage of the gorgeous backdrop and get some family photos while you are out and about!
Fresh-cut trees are aromatic, have better longevity than trees from a lot (unless they are locally sourced), are environmentally friendly (93% of real trees are recycled, and Christmas tree farms absorb more than one ton of CO2 in their lifetime), and buying direct from the farm ensures farmers receive the profit.
For the best “cut your own” Christmas tree experience be sure to:
- Measure your space (height and circumference)
- Look for a healthy tree! If there is excessive needle loss, brittle limbs or flimsy needles, stay away! “Fresh trees,” says Minnesota Grown, “Should have flexible boughs and an abundance of crisp needles.”
- Provide the right care for your tree. If buying a pre-cut tree, when you get home, cut off at least 1” from the trunk. If you cut your own tree, be sure to place the trunk in water within 8 hours of the time you cut it.
- Keep the tree out of direct sunlight and away from heater vents or large-screen TVs
- Plain tap water is best for your tree
- Check the water level daily. If it goes dry, the trunk can reseal and will be unable to absorb more water.
Here’s our list of cut-your-own Christmas Tree Farms within 2 hours drive of Minneapolis and St. Paul, as well as approximate distance from our south metro Montessori schools and childcare centers, located in Prior Lake and Lakeville.